Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Documentary & Reference Shots

My good friend, Bára, approached me the other day and asked me if she could interview me for her final project from the University of Iceland.  Her project sounded fun and I was so honored she'd want me to be a part of it, plus; she is awesome, so of course I said yes!  The project is a 4 piece documentary interviewing young creatives in Iceland, a goldsmith, a musician, a fashion designer and yours truly. 

Bára came to my studio and interviewed me and filmed me painting, drawing, reading and such.  It's weird being filmed like that!  I don't know if I could get used to it, but luckily I was being filmed by a good friend so that made it easier.  I got terribly self conscious when filming and even more so when I saw the film.  I could hardly hear the words I said, I just thought, oh my, could my face BE any whiter? (It was shot in February when we've had like zero sunlight for months).  So, wear sunglasses if you watch it, will you?

BUT, I think the film turned out really great and I know I'm going to be thankful I'll have that little documentary about this part of my life that's happening right now.  Bára is definitely on the right track and I can't wait to hear what the future holds for her.  You can watch the films here (I'm afraid it's still only in Icelandic, but I plan to have it subtitled and will share it when that's ready).  You can get more info on Bára's Facebook Page Samkrull.  


well, that girl is tanned!

Realising I could be as self conscious as I felt when I watched the film, made me want to take a U-turn.  I didn't like discovering I could get so occupied by how my skin looked or if my eyes were puffy!  We all have so many different faces.   SO, to celebrate my many faces, I'm sharing with you how I usually shoot my references for my illustrations. A mighty good teacher of mine once said that the illustration will only be as good as the reference photo you have, meaning; if you have a lousy reference, you'll get a lousy illustration.  So, the Photo Booth on my Mac has been my best friend for a few years now.  I sometimes shoot many photos a day, sometimes just of my leg or hand gestures but mostly facial expressions though.  And often I convince the people around me to help me out.  It totally makes sense to me that animators have to take acting lessons, it is a big part of your job imagining being in someone else's shoes.  

enjoy...yiikes...(covering my eyes)..

eewww...

....h...e...l...p.....m...e...e...e....
oops!
hey...it's my burger..
teachers pet (I wonder what happened to that sweater)
no caption needed
what??...you talki'n to me?
do I spot a tooth there?
Dagur can be an excellent model
recognize this from my website?
interrupted while eating breakfast
planting a worm in a box (so obvious)

AAAAAAH!
I think this is one of my favorite reference shots!  I was "directing" Eggert,
not realising I was in the background doing the same gesture ;)

 Would love to hear from fellow illustrators how you usually shoot your references.  Probable a little more professionally than me, no?  :)

2 comments:

lindsey said...

Ha! These are A-MAZING. I always see my reference shots mixed in with my other photos and it cracks me up. Not to mention when I'm showing someone photos and I accidently stumble on a reference gallery. I like seeing you plant the worm.

Recognize said...

These are HIlarious!