Thursday, June 27, 2013

Character Skethces


A busy week soon behind and a much needed little vacation ahead.  We are having guests from San Francisco, arriving tomorrow, I can't wait to show them around our country! So happy to see them again after almost three years.  

I feel like my life will forever be linked to San Francisco.  Does a person leave that place ind just be fine with it?  I doubt it.  Although I love living here in Iceland close to family and friends, my mind is still very stuck in the city by the Bay.  (Please bear with me my Icelandic friends, I know I talk about it all the time!  You are good friends for listening to me blah blah about it like constantly without rolling your eyes.)  But the city and the people I met there just got a hold of me, and I'm incredible grateful for that.

One of those people I met in California and instantly knew I'd stay in contact with for a long time is Katherine Dieter.  I must tell you a little story of the day we "met" for the first time.  We have mutual friends, Dom & Cyn (love you!) and they'd told me I had to meet Katherine since she's an author and they thought we'd get along great and even create something together.  So Eggert, Dagur and I took a little day trip up North from the city near where she lives in Sebastopol.  We'd arranged to meet at this nice little wood oven bakery in the country (the best bakery).  We arrived there early (I'm always early) and sat in the sun, ate grilled bread and waited.  And waited.  No Katherine.  So I called her and got no answer.  The sun was getting too hot so we drove off with the AC on and I kept calling her and no answer.  So I thought, well, that's that, whatever, at least we had a nice day in the country.  

Later that day when driving over the Golden Gate Bridge, I got a call from her.  She told me that on her way to the bakery to meet me, a huge tree fell on her car and crushed it!  She was lucky not to get seriously hurt.  Coincidentally she had decided to drive her pickup instead of her little car, if she hadn't switched cars the story might have a very different ending.  So she called me from the hospital telling me what had happened and that she was ok.  She also told me that she'd thought to herself this had to be a sign for that it was time for her to start working on her own things and follow her dreams.  I'm glad she didn't think it was a sign that she shouldn't ever meet me!  It also made me think that if something serious had happened to her, on her way to meet me, I'd never forgive myself!  But later we met and have ever since been in contact and I'm so happy for that.  She is a beautiful writer and we've been working together on a project I'm the most excited about.  Which finally explains the character illustrations you see here above and below.  I'll tell you all about it later, but till then...

...meet Enough Borzak and his lovely wife :) 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda--Fabulous character sketches! I found you blog via SCBWI. Lovely work--good luck on this project--it looks very fun!