Wednesday, September 11, 2013

To have a partner in crime (or illustration)

shake-it till your dots fall off!

I have a friend - such a good friend that I must tell you about.  I met her at my first class at the Academy of Art - the scary Color Theory class.  Man, it was difficult!  And I who thought my English was ok felt totally clueless most of the time.  A student in that class was Lindsey Manwell, who has since become my friend, advisor, critic and supporter in the scary world of illustration.  I can only hope I can help her out as much as she's helped me.  Once in a while we meet up via Skype (late in the evening my time, afternoon California time) and talk about this business we're in for at least an hour each time.  It means EVERYTING to be able to talk to someone who knows exactly what you are doing and going through.  And every single time after our conversation, I feel inspired and more energetic.  You must check out her stunningly beautiful art work here!

I've been in the writing mood for a while now.  Ideas pile up in my head, in my computer and notebook, but most of them in my sketch book.  I've been reading a lot, many things suggested by Lindsey, and I feel like I'm discovering a whole new world.  There are so many interesting books, blogs and podcasts out there for children's book writers and illustrators, I can't believe it took me so long to find it!  So if you are interested in illustration and writing and haven't discovered these blogs and podcasts yet, check out these brilliant sites:




Julie Hedlund (...you must check out her interview with the brilliant Peter Brown here.



Enjoy!










3 comments:

lindsey said...

You are the one that inspires ME, don't you know?? I just gush over this post. Thank you Linda. You are my one true art love. I don't know what I'd do without you. Lind-A and S FOREVER.

lindsey said...

I just keep coming back here to read this. It makes my heart race. You are the sweetest Linda!

Linda Olafsdottir said...

Ha, Lind-A & S FOREVER - Love it! And Love You!