Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A Nomination for the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Awards

Oh my, I've just received some really wonderful news, such uplifting and encouraging news.  I've been nominated for the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Awards!  I am one of two candidates nominated from Iceland.  It's an award that honors the achievement of an author, illustrator or storyteller in children's literature from all over the world.  I could not possible be more honored.  I'm not sure I'm worthy of being in the company of such masters that have been nominated and/or received the awards.   But I sure am gonna enjoy this nomination and cherish this feeling of knowing I must be on the right track with my work.  And it's a good feeling.

Swedish author Astrid Lindgren (1907-2002) is without a doubt one of my heroes.  I grew up with her stories and now I love reading them for my own children.  Her characters were unique, strong, independent and fun.  But still  they were very real and dealt with real problems in their own unique and humorous ways.  And you get the feeling they were created with so much respect for children - respect for the characters and the readers.  Her stories will live forever.  

I couldn't resist using this image I found of Astrid Lindgren :)

If you want to learn more about the brilliant Astrid Lindgren, click here.  And if you haven't read anything by her, please, please, check out Pippi Longstocking, Emil of Lönneberga, Ronia the Robber's Daughter and The Brothers Lionheart just to name a few.  


8 comments:

Ray Bonilla said...

Congrats Linda!! You totally deserve the nomination!

pigknit said...

What an honor! I tweeted this post :D Good luck!

Julie said...

Congratulations!

Unknown said...

You so deserve this!! Congratulations my friend, you're awesome.

Linda Olafsdottir said...

Thank you!!!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Your work is wonderful and you certainly deserve the award!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic - you deserve it!

lindsey said...

omg!!! omg!!!! YAYYYAYYYYYY